Call for Papers
Digital Age is defined by the use of technology to support the way people communicate and interact in their everyday and working lives. Digital age therefore offers new and exciting opportunities to people, but it also presents new challenges to researchers and designers. Issues such as utility, efficiency, productivity, trust and other human values should be considered in a holistic sense oriented to enhance the 'quality of life' of people.
The goal of this workshop is to promote the study of the new realities provided by the emerging of digital age. The following questions will be explored (but no limited to):
- How and how much cultures of participation affect, positively or negatively, end users’ quality of life?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of cultures of participation for fostering collaborative problem-solving activities?
- What does it mean to do EUD in large community and mass collaboration? (e.g. can we accept user generated content, UGC, as a form of EUD or is it simply use in CP terminology)
- What about creating a building or interactive event in Second Life, would that be an instance of meta-design or EUD?
- What are the methods to employ to study the activities of cultures of participation?
- How to support different levels of participation (e.g. interested outsiders, collaborators, partial contributors, full contributors, meta-designers, etc.)?
- How to assess individual contributions in terms of contributing to a common goal?
- How to assess the quality of a contribution? Is it possible or of interest to distinguish ‘good’ and ‘bad’? Moreover, are there really ‘bad’ contributions?
- How to design for massive EUD, e.g. a type of meta design?
- How to provide zones of end-user development (ZEUD) in socio-technical systems, like hooks and open points in the run-time environments of these systems so that end-user developers can create personally motivated extensions to these systems?
- How EUD tools can support cultures of participation?
- What types of interactive environments can stimulate participation?
- What kind of technological platforms could support large community and mass collaboration EUD?
KEYWORDS: cultures of participation, digital living, end-user development, socio-technical systems, meta-design
Extended abstract submission deadline (500 words): March 14, 2013
Notification to Authors: March 21, 2013
Registration: [according to IS-EUD 2013 registration policy]
Workshop: June 10, 2013